Cloud secure for business ?
Within this new technological revolution, there are several factors that have shown that technological advances are one of the most important fuels that drive growth and development, highlighting the cloud, by making tools available to society and its actors. they facilitate day-to-day work, gaining speed cloud secure for business.
A place that even visionaries, such as the well-known founder of Paypal, Elon Musk, together with the giant Microsoft, have proposed to use to store, in the future, our own thoughts in real time.
At a particular level, the population has been using data storage, files, emails, or social networks for a long period of time, with an increase in its evolution drastically altering its habits of times past.
Even so, companies are slower, especially SMEs since the concept of the Cloud is sometimes understood as losing some control over their files.
And anything farter from the reality.
Migrating to the cloud provides us above all economic benefits, for example by reducing infrastructure costs and having the opportunity of a flexible strategy that adapts to different business workloads without having to assume a rigid structure when it is no longer necessary.
Conditioning the necessary environment with immediate access to technologies (as in IaaS, “Infrastructure as a Service”) can solve critical moments in the execution of intentions, plans or projects that would be very expensive if we try to recreate that environment locally.
Cloud Computing and the external data storage service
A cloud storage service is unlimited, with a multipurpose structure that enables customization depending on the particular needs of each user.
This translates into a measurable increase in productivity.
Access is fast and secure with our data available from any device and place.
Traditional storage systems are expensive and costly to maintain, while cloud storage requires no hardware, installation, maintenance personnel, or security measures that increase business costs.
With cloud storage, we don’t need our own infrastructure to keep our data accessible and secure
Advantages of cloud storage
- Saving resources in infrastructures and economic savings
- Multi-user structure, shared directories with different levels of access permissions
- Collaborative work with knowledge of who, when and what
- Much higher cloud secure for business standards in the environment of the provider of this service than in our own company.
- The cloud provider may have better physical and financial resources than we do to counter the data security threats our infrastructure faces.
- Data available and guarded 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Disadvantages of cloud storage
- The perception of loss of privacy of sensitive data.
- The data will be stored outside of our business network and if we do not choose the right provider, they could do so abroad, which, depending on the data we store, may violate the laws and data protection regulations of that country.
- If our Internet connection is unstable, you may have problems accessing your services. Just as we can access information from anywhere and on any device thanks to the Internet, the other side of the coin is that we depend entirely on its quality.
- Automatic data backups and high levels of security are not guaranteed only by “uploading” them to the cloud: adequate procedures must be implemented for their control, which implies that both the actions of the service provider and the user / client are focused on safeguard data with maximum security.
- It is essential that you know the security policy of the cloud service provider and where and what are the security measures with which it treats your data
Cybersecurity in the Cloud
We can believe that the cloud is a clear and perfect target for the famous “hackers”, but is the risk of storing data in the cloud greater than when we have control of the data in traditional private storage?
Having cloud secure for business “control” of our information, keeping it on our local server, does not imply greater security, in fact traditional storage being a favorite target for hackers compared to the cloud.
We weren’t expecting it, right? or if? As we have already mentioned, among the advantages of the cloud, the capacity, knowledge, experience and resources available to the providers of these services in the face of cybersecurity, make it a much safer service to store our data. Business.
Traditional storage, a favorite target for hackers compared to the cloud
Advantages that companies with Cloud services have perceived
Choosing the best cloud service provider
Most countries give you the keys so that you can determine the advantages offered by each cloud service provider on the market and select the one that will provide you with the most effective security management.
You must be duly informed of (among others):
- The provider’s security policy and its dependencies with third parties
- The point of contact for security incidents
- What are the security tasks (patching, updating, …) that the provider will perform and those that we will perform
- Classifying incidents with their response or recovery time objectives
- Contractual obligations, for example financial compensation for losses, etc.
- The provider’s business continuity and disaster recovery plans (See DRaaS Disaster Recovery);
- Backup options, fault tolerance and recovery times
- Redundancy of your data centers, where they are located, what are your physical and logical access control measures (roles, privileges, …) that you have implemented
- Authentication mechanisms in use
- Compliance with good practice criteria
- Vulnerability scan reports
- Patch and update procedures
- National legislation that applies
- Partner with serious professionals for the custody and security of your most precious data.